Why your website needs an SSL Certificate
What is an SSL Certificate?
Put simply, an SSL (Secure Sockets Layer) creates a safe environment to allow you to communicate, collect data or take payments via your website with your site visitors securely. By installing an SSL certificate, it will clarify to the user that the site is secure with the padlock icon as the image shows.
Why do websites need an SSL certificate
An SSL Certificate is important for the following reasons:
- Helps to keep the data collected secure and encrypted during the data transfer between servers
- Google made it a requirement for websites to have SSL certificates installed. Any websites without a certificate is flagged up to show as not secure
- If your website collects any form of data or takes payment it is important to have an SSL certificate
- Helps SEO & Google rankings
- Helps build and enhance the trust of your site visitors
The process of adding an SSL certificate to your site can be daunting and does involve some technical know-how. Here at SeventyTwo we manage this for the majority of our clients and we're more than happy to manage this for new clients too.
Please don’t hesitate to contact us if you have any questions.